Seek first to understand, then to be understood

POSTED ON: Wednesday, 17 June 2015 @ 08:03 | 0 comments

uBased on Steve Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
one of the habit is

seek first to understand, then to be understood

of course, i've learnt and memorised these habits by heart since young
and i've been told that to be successful, I must practice these 7 habits
but
it's always easier said than done
I've never felt so conflicted in my life about these habits
cause to me, they have always been "sure why not" guidelines to life
but now,
it's so hard to follow these habits
especially this one

seek first to understand
then to be understood

for my whole life
I've been taught to look at other people's perspective
walk in their shoes
understand others
serve others
"seek first to understand [them]"

but what if I want to be understood too?
what if I tired of always understanding others?
can I just stay here and throw a tantrum?
can I be like a kid and sulk?
no, I can't.
cause that's not a mature way to deal with things
and I'm (supposed to be) a grown up

seek first to understand = superego
then to be understood = id

now, I feel so tired of my superego
can I let my primitive nature take over me?
just for a short while?


I want to be hugged and be assured that everything will be alright..
I want to be treated like I'm worth it
cause I am.. right?

"Just be the one who cares more"

-[chi ling]-

♥ Older || Newer ♥
you're my sunshine