Life plans
POSTED ON: Thursday, 27 February 2014 @ 07:44 | 0 comments
Right now at this period of time where I'm 17 going on 18,
I believe that I am in a suitable position to think about my future
(not as in "I dream of going outerspace" or "I think I want to be a popstar", but really think.. think.. think..)
I've went through so many stages that led me to where I am today!
1. the process of PSLE
mum going, "you nEED to get into a good school to get into a good university! come, tell me what do you wanna be when you grow up?"
2. the process of a 6 month dilemma of "should I go get DPA?!"
everybody going, "Are you sure you want to condemn yourself into the Early Childhood Education field? No going back you know? Once you get into DPA, the course of your future will be set!3. the process of after getting back my O level results
me going, "Now that I've got this result, am I certain that i don't want to get into a good JC? Look at everybody going to JC. Was getting into DPA a mistake? Well there's no going back.."
4. the process of starting Field Practicum (attachment)
everyone around me telling me, "being a teacher is a very hard job, especially one that involves children from different walks of life. Do you know that being a kindergarten teacher has really little pay? You must get a degree okay!" or "I'm never getting into this field when I graduate from this course. This course is a stepping stone for me to get into university."
Especially during the entirety of year 1, with weekly attachments and real life experiences
I've been shaken, and I wavered in terms of my ambitions
Having the experiences of observing children for a semester, and the experiences of teaching a class of 10 for another semester,
I must admit, I got really scared of my life choice of being a kindergarten teacher
I started thinking:
"Will I forever be a kindergarten teacher / principal?"
"Will I work under the government, or the high-end private schools, or set up my own kindergarten?"
"What is the point of me working in this field?"
"Will I end up as washed-away as all these teachers in my attachment centre?"
And of course, those thoughts changed my already-set life plans
At first, this was what I wanted:
- Graduate from NP, Diploma in ECH
- Graduate from Wheelock College, Degree in ECH
- Work for PCF for 10 years
- Set up my own kindergarten/ childcare centre in Singapore
- Graduate from NIE, Masters in ECH
- Set up my kindergarten/ childcare centres all over asia and around the world
But as time pass, I altered my life plans
and right now, although I am unsure whether this will be a definite plan for me, this is the current life plan that I have
- Graduate from NP, Diploma in ECH
- Graduate from NUS, Degree in Psychology
- Work for a high-end childcare centre for 3-5 years
- Graduate from NIE, Masters in ECH
- Work and be a principal in PCF for 3-5 years
- Graduate from NIE, Ph.D in ECH
- Conduct more research in how to increase the quality of early education in Singapore (fun fact, although Singapore is a first world country, we're ranked 29th in Preschool Education! Below average!). This means that I want to travel around the world and observe how different countries conduct preschool education in their classrooms
- Come back Singapore and influence the quality of preschool education of Singapore (through ECDA)
- Set up my own kindergarten/ childcare centre all over Singapore
To be honest, I really want to research on the impact of religion on early education
or something around that line
because from young, I have been heavily influenced by my religion
and now that I've grown up, and have met many sorts of people,
I realised that what one goes through during one's early years will heavily impact one's future behaviours/ attitudes/ mindsets/ goals
And this may be a controversial topic, but I've always learnt that "Children who learns traditional Chinese culture and values will always be far better than children who don't"
And from that, I'd really want to use science to determine whether this is true or not
Basically, I've found one of my role models of life
(this is different from my other role models, Emma Watson and Chrissy Costanza)
This role model is Dr. Mayim Bialik
She is an actress, has a Ph. D in Neuroscience, and a mother of 2
and tbh she is a perfect example of how even if you are in the field of hollywood, you are still able to stand on your own feet and accomplish so much more
She is a very big fan of Science and Math
She is a very religious person
She is a firm believer of contributing to the world
She is an educator, and believes in passing down knowledge and influencing the next generation
She is successful despite the fact that she has traditional thinking
and this is the best: She believes in equality and justice
So all in all, she is one of the best role models out there
This is a little embarrassing, but the fact that she is an actress AND a neuroscientist AND a teacher AND a mother is exactly the reason why I can and want to relate to her
I want to be a very successful person in Singapore's field of ECH (linking to Mayim and her Ph.D)
I want to be successful in the music industry with the band (linking to Mayim and her actress life in hollywood)
I want to be a good teacher and influencer in my field of studies (linking to Mayim and her being a teacher)
and last of all, I want to be a good mother (linking to Mayim, and her everlasting endeavour to give her kids the best)
//smiles shyly
My thinking may be really far-fetched right now
but I need a goal to slowly work towards
and tada here is my goal for life
and even if by the end of my life, I couldn't achieve all my plans
I want to be able to tell myself, "hey girl, at least you've tried your best! your very very best with 100% commitment!"
So... Yeah...
All these is enough to give me an existential crisis once or twice per day
//deepsigh
this has been a long post
so here's a nice song from Hey Monday
Side note: I've watched finish all that I can watch from How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, and I'm now feeling really empty ohmy
and what the hell I think I am in love with Jim Parsons <3
Jim, why are you 41 and gay :'''''''(
Blow the candles out
Looks like a solo tonight
-[chi ling]-


