youth group - CLF - join us?

POSTED ON: Monday, 3 March 2014 @ 09:02 | 0 comments

for years (14 years to be exact) I've went to saturday classes, 
where I've learnt about buddhism, about the ways to be a good person and to fulfil my roles as a human being (be it daughter/ granddaughter/ sister/ friend/ etc.)
I've went since I was 4 (2000)
and now, at 2014, I've officially stopped going to the class (let's call it temple class for now)
I left there because everything has changed, and there was no meaning for me to continue on there
So many of my memories and knowledge were formed there
the temple class has made me who I am now, and I am deeply grateful for the people and the experiences I have met and formed there

one thing to emphasise though, is that the temple class did not only teach about buddhism
they emphasised GREATLY on traditional chinese teachings (refer to confucianism)
and I have to say, learning traditional chinese teachings is a 99% factor of what and who I am today
Traditional chinese teachings have nothing to do with religion
you can be a buddhist and learn traditional chinese teachings
you can be a christian and learn traditional chinese teachings
you can be a free-thinker/ hindu/ muslim/ -insert whatever religion you can think of- and learn traditional chinese teachings
and since learning traditional chinese teachings have impacted me so much
I am 100% willing to share my experiences and knowledge to others out there

you, at this point, might be thinking
"what is she talking about?
ugh traditional chinese teaching? I might as well be bored to death"
well..
no
the way of teaching traditional chinese teachings isn't only the old school listen-to-the-teacher-drone-for-hours lessons anymore
and this post is to explain to you a new way a group of us youths are trying to spread traditional chinese teachings out there to other people (be it old, young or youth; but right now we are targeting youths)

first, a back story
when I was in the temple class
I got the opportunity to go for a camp ran by a group of youths from NTU
they had this amazing camp that was filled with fun activities and tbh is by far one of the BEST camps I've ever went
during the camp we learnt about traditional chinese teachings
and it impacted me (and everybody else who participated in the camp) so much that to this day (10 years after the camp), I can still remember many of the activities that we did, and the lessons that we learnt!
[think TCP Camp + red camp + LAC = the camp I'm talking about]

fast forward a few years
the batch of us grew up, and slowly one by one each of us left the temple class
but Kiwi (one of the organisers of the previously mentioned camp) didn't want us to leave without having nowhere to go
and by somehow
our youth group (that's what I personally call us, but we don't really have a name for ourselves yet, except for CLF, which will be explained later) formed
we all came together, and decided that we want to spread the word about traditional chinese teachings to the people out there, starting with youths
and slowly by slowly,
we decided to organize a camp!
[this camp is named Camp La Familia, thus CLF)

So an organising committee was formed
a group of us
some to design the camp
some to look for sponsors and logistics
some to train to be group leaders for the campees
it was a legit organising committee for a legit camp!
and to start off (because we haven't done this before), our target group was the youths from my temple class
so after a few months of hard work
CLF happened
many many sweet memories formed
our mission was accomplished for CLF
everybody had fun, and everybody learnt more about traditional chinese teachings WHILE having fun!
with that success, all of us were psyched to continue doing this every year

the following year (last year)
we were all prepared for CLF2
but on camp day itself, the damn haze happened, so the camp was cancelled
kinda a really big bummer
(i think I blogged about this in this blog or my previous blog??)
but that's already in the past, and the haze wasn't something we could control

so that brings us to NOW
CLF3 IS HERE
//fanfares
we've just kicked started the planning process of CLF3
and this time, this camp is even bigger!
our target audience is now people from the temple class AND students from Tanjong Katong Sec AND students from CDAC AND the public
YES
the PUBLIC
so that's kinda a really huge deal right now
this year I'm the group leader again
and i'll be the choreographer for the mass dance
//cues dancing songs and hip hop moves

so what's the point of this post?
well..
since CLF3 is a big deal now
we had to allocate more people under the programming committee and publicity committee
and now we have a shortage of people to be group leaders
so dear friends, if you wanna have some fun planning camps and gaining leadership (well not only leadership, but a lot a lot of other) experiences, and if you wanna meet a group of friendly fun outgoing and sincere people
do join us in planning for this camp! (and if you like, all subsequent camps and activities to raise awareness of traditional chinese teachings!)
contact me if you wanna join
cause tbh I think we're really lacking manpower?
and don't worry, the commitment level isn't something that one can't handle
we usually schedule GL trainings on weekends, and it is a TON of fun, and you really don't have to do much except to be there to have fun
and have I mentioned that we're lacking of manpower?
so do consider and contact me if you wanna join me to a whole new experience that you might never have if you miss this chance! :)
or you can just contact me if you wanna know more :)
[emphasis: trust me, this camp is very fun and meaningful
and did I mention that this camp has nothing to do with religions? it is purely on traditional chinese teachings]

here's a big thing to take note
the language used in this camp is English
which means even if your chinese is CMI
you can still join us
cause we communicate and learn in English
cool yo: you don't really need to use chinese to learn about traditional chinese teachings haha

if you've read till here, I am so thankful for you spending your time reading this long post
//a flood of tears of touched-ness
this camp and this group of people means a lot to me, and i'll like to share what I've learned from them to you
this is a sincere invitation for you to join me in impacting the youths out there
//smiles brightly at you

here's a song about having a good life yo



-[chi ling]-

Edit:
OH I almost forgot
the camp CLF3 is during June 2014
during the holidays of Secondary school/ JC/ Poly

♥ Older || Newer ♥
you're my sunshine